30 Mar, 2019
The US is projecting its own plans against Venezuela on Moscow, surmising about “military contingents” and “operations,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said, adding that Russian specialists have clear and open goals in the country.
“It looks like Washington is judging by itself, trying to ascribe its own plans it has against this country to Moscow. Yet again, they arrogantly announce they have ‘all option on the table,’” foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said in a statement on Saturday. She added that Russian specialists in Venezuela are not “military contingent” which Moscow made clear from the very beginning.
The US’ unsubstantiated alarm over an imaginary Russian “military contingent” deployed to Venezuela is an example of the utmost hypocrisy, given its own activities in South America.
“It would be nice to know, what the numerous American military instructors are doing in Venezuela’s neighbor – Columbia?” Zakharova wondered. “And why is the White House eagerly calling its other neighbor – Brazil – to NATO, in violation of the charter and very name of the North Atlantic treaty?”
Moscow insists the arrival of 100 Russian military specialists to Venezuela last week is part of the military cooperation agreed between the two countries in 2001, and was carried out “in strict accordance with the constitution of that country and with full respect for its legal norms.” But Washington got all worked up with harsh statements.
National Security Advisor John Bolton said the “United States will not tolerate hostile foreign military powers meddling with the Western Hemisphere’s shared goals of democracy, security, and the rule of law,” while Vice President Mike Pence called the deployment an “unnecessary provocation.” President Donald Trump urged Russia to get out of Venezuela, invoking the old “all options are open” threat.