By Patrick Goodenough
June 10, 2019
(CNSNews.com) – President Trump on Sunday dismissed as false a New York Times report saying his much-touted immigration deal with Mexico contained nothing new, and his stance was backed up later in the day by acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan.
On a key element of the bilateral agreement, McAleenan said Mexico has previously deployed just several hundred troops to its southern border with Guatemala, but has now agreed to a “more than tenfold” increase in numbers.
Trump tweeted that his administration, like predecessors, have been working on some parts of the agreement regarding border actions expected of Mexico, but had been unable to secure them, or secure them fully, until Friday’s signed deal.
He added that some elements of the agreements, including “one in particular,” have yet to be announced. And the president warned that his threat to impose escalating tariffs – put on hold as a result of Friday’s agreement – could still be realized if for some reason Mexico does not cooperate.
“But I don’t believe that will be necessary.”
Under the agreement announced following bilateral talks in Washington, Mexico agreed to an “enforcement surge” including “deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border,” the State Department said.
It would also be “taking decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations as well as their illicit financial and transportation networks.”
Both sides agreed to expand and accelerate the so-called Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), a policy put into place earlier this year under which certain unauthorized migrants are returned to Mexico to await the outcome of their immigration proceedings.
Mexico will admit them and offer jobs, healthcare and education, while the U.S. pledged to speed up the adjudication of asylum claims, the department said.