US intelligence officials have admitted to CNN that the US launched the attack against Syria without being able to confirm that a sarin chemical attack had taken place.
By Matt Agorist
April 18, 2018
Over the weekend, the United States led a coordinated attack—along with French and British forces—on the sovereign country of Syria. The attack consisted of hundreds of missiles which were recorded hitting civilian targets and also reportedly struck a cancer research facility. And now, we are learning that all of it was based on an alleged use of sarin gas for which they had no evidence.
According to a report from CNN today, US intelligence agencies have admitted that they were not certain the Assad regime had used the nerve agent sarin against civilians—but launched the massive attack anyway.
Officials merely claimed that they were confident Assad did use chemical weapons and that was enough for the attack.
According to CNN, the lack of complete information played a role in deciding not to strike a larger set of targets including airfields, aircraft and helicopters, one defense official said. Others factors, like Russian positioning, also played a role in the decisions.
After the strikes Friday night, the French and British governments also released the supposed evidence they had to justify the act of war carried out by allied nations in Syria. The reports admitted to not having any actual intelligence and the “evidence” was based on “open source” information widely available on the internet.
These open source accounts were little more than videos and testimonies from groups such as the White Helmets—who have been known to create fake videos, support terrorists, and much more.
On Tuesday, it was also reported that Secretary of Defense James Mattis attempted to take the constitutional approach to war by seeking Congressional approval before the strike, but he was overruled because that would take too much time, not allow for an actual investigation, and allow for time to the US to be proven wrong about their claims.
As the NY Times reported, Mattis urged President Trump to get congressional approval before the United States launched airstrikes against Syria last week, but was overruled by Mr. Trump, who wanted a rapid and dramatic response, military and administration officials said.